PHI Security Statistics at a Glance
PHI Security Statistics:
- In 2017, healthcare was the 2nd biggest contributing industry to overall breaches with 334 breaches.
- In 2019, healthcare providers continued to be the most targeted for breaches with nearly 4 out of 5 all cybersecurity breaches
- 25% of patients impacted by healthcare provider data breaches between 2015 and 2017 – more than 6 million people – will subsequently become victims of medical identity theft.
- 16% will be victimized and pay out-of-pocket costs totaling almost $56 billion over the next five years.
- 2015-2019: Healthcare providers could lose $305 billion in cumulative lifetime revenue from patients impacted by identity theft.
- In the first quarter of 2019, 78 breaches were reported. Of those, 49 were considered hacking/IT incidents and nearly half (43%) of those incidents were due to email compromise.
If you are shocked at the above data, you may want to check out the PHI security guides on our HIPAA blog.