Alcohol and Drug Services (ADS)
Adapting ADS Operations: A Case Study on Flexibility and Transformative Changes for Improved Recovery Services
Case Study Stats
Name: Alcohol and Drug Services (ADS)
Web Site: www.adsyes.org
Location: HQ in High Point, NC / 9 locations
Customer: 8 years
Services: Outpatient Therapy, Intensive Outpatient Programs, Medication-Assisted Treatment, and Medication Management (Psychiatry)
Alcohol and Drug Services (ADS) believes steadfastly in the resilience and potential for individuals to recover from substance abuse. Dedicated to ushering in a brighter future for those affected by addiction, ADS is committed to promoting holistic well-being by offering high-quality substance use prevention, treatment, and recovery services. Through a multifaceted approach, which includes Outpatient Therapy, Intensive Outpatient Programs, Medication-Assisted Treatment, and Medication Management (Psychiatry), ADS strives to empower individuals in their community to achieve lasting recovery, health, and overall wellness.
As ADS experienced significant growth in its patient base, the organization faced various challenges. Key objectives included:
- Billing and Dosing Optimization: Creating customized billing structures capable of autonomously calculating allowed amounts accommodating various payer specifications and dosing criteria.
- Workflow Efficiency: Enhance and streamline workflows to improve operational efficiency, allowing ADS to serve a more extensive client base while optimizing staffing resources.
- Data Accessibility: Enable easy data access and sharing among staff and funding partners, fostering collaboration and informed decision-making.
- Adaptation to COVID-19: Customize workflows to quickly address COVID-19-related challenges within public spaces while transitioning from on-site dosing to a take-home system, ensuring compliance with regulations.
ADS faced several challenges that necessitated innovative solutions:
1. A lean staffing structure with inefficient workflows that did not adequately support client needs, particularly with the growing clientele.
2. Billing structures that did not accommodate the complexities of dosing, tracking, and billing for a diverse payer and client base.
3. Multiple systems needed more effective integration, causing data fragmentation.
4. COVID-19-related complications made it challenging to administer many doses, requiring a shift in dosing methods.
To address these challenges, ADS and its EHR partner, PIMSY, worked together and ultimately implemented several solutions.
Tailored Billing Structures
Automated billing structures were designed to compute allowed amounts, accounting for diverse payer specifications and dosing criteria. PIMSY then integrated this logic with the existing eMAR functionality.
Custom Engineering Integration
Custom engineering ensured seamless integration of patient management information into the billing system.
Automated Nightly routines were designed to queue for the next day’s dosing events. These workflow enhancements significantly improved operational efficiency, allowing ADS to serve a growing client base daily while maintaining a lean staffing structure.
Streamlined Medical Records
The medical records department was streamlined, enabling the digitization and storage of all hardcopy documents within each patient’s chart within PIMSY.
PIMSY’s Lab Integration facilitated the easy and successful download of multiple Urinalysis (UA) results, automatically populating them into the appropriate client records.
Data Collation and Sharing
ADS engages in extensive community outreach efforts. Their funding providers mandate the collection of demographic information for all activities. With PIMSY’s integrated and customizable forms, they can efficiently gather and analyze data from various events, including mental health assessments and ongoing addiction surveys. This streamlines the accessibility and sharing of data for both staff and funding partners, consolidating it into a single centralized location.
In conclusion, the collaborative efforts between ADS and PIMSY met and exceeded the objectives outlined in the quest to transform ADS, allowing them to consistently demonstrate their unwavering commitment to fostering lasting wellness in their community.
The challenges faced, from intricate billing structures to COVID-19-related complications, were met with innovative solutions provided by PIMSY that have propelled ADS forward. Tailored billing structures, streamlined workflows, improved data accessibility, and minimal custom engineering have collectively reshaped operations. Notably, maintaining consistent dosing throughout the tumultuous period of 2020 to 2022 reflects the organization’s resilience and adaptability.
As ADS continues its mission to empower individuals on the path to recovery, it stands as a testament to what can be achieved when a steadfast commitment to positive change is met with innovative software solutions offered by the PIMSY platform. This, coupled with a nimble approach to changing settings and flexibility, PIMSY’s ability to transform ADS’s operations serves as an inspiration, emphasizing the potential for progress and growth even in the face of formidable challenges.